Nuisance Complaints

KCHD investigates a variety of complaints including food and health nuisances occurring within rural Kankakee County. For all nuisances occurring within city limits please contact your local village.

To contact your local village office visit their site below or search for directory information here

IMPORTANT: Provide the name of the facility, street address, city, and the date and time of your visit. Location of the facility is important because some restaurant chains have more than one establishment in our area. 

The method in which you file your complaint directs the manner of its investigation.

  • A FORMAL COMPLAINT is made when you come to the Environmental Health office and supply your name, address and phone number along with the complaint. This information is for our records, is confidential and is NOT released to anyone, unless you indicate that you want it to be released. If you do not specify one way or the other, your information will automatically be kept confidential.
  • Formal complaints regarding situations that may be hazardous to the public's health and safety are investigated as soon as possible, and routinely less than 24 hours after receipt. Formal complaints that deal with items that are not generally regarded as immediately hazardous to the public's health and safety will be investigated as soon as possible.
  • Complaints cannot be accepted over the phone, unless suspected food-related illness.
  • A suspected food-related illness or injury must be immediately directed to our Infectious Disease nurse by calling (815) 802-9400, option 3 during normal business hours. 
  • An anonymous complaint will be investigated during the next routine operational inspection of the facility. Depending on the timing of your visit and subsequent complaint, it may be up to several months before an anonymous complaint will be investigated.

 Items that are investigated as nuisances include:

  • Accumulation of junk and/or debris
  • Accumulation or burning of rubbish, garbage or refuse
  • Maintaining a private water well or individual sewage disposal system in a condition that is detrimental or potentially detrimental to health and/or safety  
  • Disruption of natural drainage ways and/or allowing the condition of standing water where the standing water may facilitate or encourage the breeding of mosquitoes.
You may call the Environmental Health Division at (815) 802-9410